Sunday, August 30, 2009

My Top 5 Pixar Films


I'm a Pixar fanboy. I love all the films they made! Pixar's animation style is flawless, every movie they released brings something that will make you go "Wow!". Their attention to detail is amazing. And what's even great is that they are not just concentrating on style only but substance as well. Each film's story has its own quirkiness but still manages to deliver a well though of story. They appeal not only to kids but to adults as well. With that, its really hard for me to rank my favorite films. Except for the #1, I kept changing my mind about the rankings before I finalized the rankings. Anyway here is my list:

5. Toy Story series (1995/1999)



I decided not to separate the rankings of the two films because both are good anyway. Toy Story 1 is groundbreaking. I remember being so amazed with this when I was a kid. It was my first time to see a 3D animated film. What's amazing for Toy Story 2 is that they were able to top the first installment which is something rare for a sequel. The story of the sequel was very poignant. and on some level more mature. Toy Story 3 will come out next year. I'm both excited and nervous on how it turn out but the premise excites me as Andy will now be a grown up and it will deal on how will the lives be for the toys now that Andy is not a kid anymore. I think its really brave for Toy Story to make Andy grow up and not do a floating time line. So let's wait and see!

4. Up! (2009)



I love, love the story of Carl and Elie. It clearly showed what unconditional love is. The animation for this movie is breathtaking. It seemed like the real thing! My jaw literally dropped when Carl's house started to "fly" already and also during the first view of the Paradise Falls, truly beautiful! The characters are lovable as well. The "dog collar translator" is so cool!


3. WALL-E (2008)



WALL-E has the darkest storyline of all the Pixar films but the animation and the sound production are very top notch. The story is a bit disturbing since you will really ponder if the future they presented is possible. A big hats off to the film because they were able to tell the story despite having few comprehensible human dialogue. I find it amazing too that there is no "antagonist" in the story. The antagonist is actually the effect of too much dependency on technology. But I think this the less child friendly movie because of the theme and how the story was played out.

2. Finding Nemo (2003)


Finding Nemo has the story that almost everyone could relate, the conflict is simple if you come to think of it but the message it delivered is universal. Who does not have an issue of being independent right? Plus this is such a fun movie, for me this is the most entertaining to watch of all the Pixar films. Dory is the funniest animated character I have ever watched. I was really laughing until my hearts content with her lines.

1. Ratatouille (2007)



I love Ratatouille because of the conflict it presented: Wanting to be something that you are not supposed to be there and choosing to go against tradition because of something that your heart tells you that is right for you. Yeah it's a bit extreme to use a rat that wants to be a chef but I like what Remy represented, he is the total outcast who want to challenge the tradition. The animation is superb the fact that I really got grossed out with rat colony (especially when they fell from the roof!) shows how realistic and polished the animation is. And the in the end is full of wisdom, just captures the whole essence of the movie. The best and most sophisticated script for me of all the Pixar films.

***

Don't get me wrong, I love Monsters Inc, The Incredibles, A Bugs Life and Cars especially Monster Inc (it was a close call for #5) but these rankings are more of a reflection of the films that left a significant impact to me. Can't wait to see what Pixar has to offer in the future :)

No comments: