Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Wired In: "The Social Network" Experience

So yesterday I watched the special screening of "The Social Network" and I definitely enjoyed the film. The screenplay was indeed outstanding, it was very witty and sharp and I was really engaged with every dialogue. Good job Aaron Sorkin! I loved Sorkin's work with "Sports Night" and the speech in the pilot episode on his last TV show "Studio 60 On The Sunset Trip" was one of the most unforgettable TV moments I've ever watched (I have yet to see an episode of his other famous, awarded TV series "The West Wing" though). Sorkin do really have a way with words! It's not easy for a film like this which does a lot of talking to be this engrossing and not get the viewers lost. The screenplay is definitely the "star" of this film! Jesse Eisenberg 's performance was good, I'm impressed. Andrew Garfield and Justin Timberlake did fine as well although I honestly don't think it was that good to get an Oscar nod (like what some critics are hyping about) but it's just me. For the record I do believe "The Social Network" was partly a fictionalized version of what really happened with the founders. The film afterall is an adaptation of the book "Accidental Billionaires" which only had one side of the story [of Eduardo Saverin] as the main source of the book. With that said, I could still say that the film captured the essence of what went on before Facebook became what it is right now. It's a story that tells you that before we can reach the top it is inevitable that we will make enemies or hurt people or have people attempt to pull us down. They all come with success, whether we like it or not. It's no easy road, you can't play it safe, you have to be tough enough to survive a dog-eat-dog kind of world.

I have to admit the buzz and hype for "The Social Network" is overselling the film like this is the one that defines the decade or a generation or what, I'm not sure if they are right because I haven't watch a lot of films the past years to agree to a statement like that. I expect some people who will see this film leaving the theater scratching their heads asking "So that was the hype all about?" because the film does not have those WTF or mind-blowing moments. So I suggest that if you'll watch the film that don't set your expectations that high like this film will change your life or something because remember that it's all subjective anyway. Let me make this clear, I'm not downplaying this film's merits but I worry that some people will fail to see how good this film because it did not meet their sky high expectations. Anyway, the bottomline if you want to see a well-told story with engaging dialogue go see this film.

No comments: